1. The twin growing inside the twinMedical mysteries don’t get much better than Sanju Bhagat, an Indian man with a stomach so swollen, he could easily be mistaken for a heavily pregnant woman. One night in 1999, the 36-year-old farmer learned the truth about his bulbous belly when he underwent emergency surgery. One doctor present at the time recalls:
“He just put his hand inside and he said there are a lot of bones inside. First, one limb came out, then another limb came out. Then some part of genitalia, then some part of hair, some limbs, jaws, limbs, hair.”At first, it appeared that Bhagat had just given birth, but in reality, surgeons had just removed his mutilated twin brother from his stomach, 36 years after his intended due date. The phenomenon, known as ‘fetus in fetu’ is incredibly rare, with less than 90 examples of it ever having occurred in medical literature.
2. The brain wormWhen Rosemary Alvarez began to experience problems with her balance and numbness in her left arm, she thought she had a brain tumor. An MRI scan found a small foreign growth in her brain, which surgeons decided to operate on swiftly. However, during the operation to remove the fingernail sized tumor, surgeons found a tape worm living in her brain. Thankfully, Alvarez made a full recovery. But, when she discovered how the parasitic worm got there in the first place, her life changed dramatically. Someone, somewhere, had served the 37-year-old food tainted with the feces of a person infected with the pork tapeworm parasite. Yuck!
3. The dental dilemmaExperiencing tremendous pain in his mouth, a 36-year-old man paid a visit to his dentist. The dentist saw no option but to remove the tooth which was the cause of the pain. However, upon extracting the molar, the dentist discovered that the real cause of the pain was a guava plant which was growing out of his tooth!
4. Pea in the lungRon Sveden’s health was already rather poor. So, when the 75-year-old began to cough uncontrollably, he didn’t become to alarmed. His wife, Nancy, however was very concerned by his severe deterioration, so she called him an ambulance. Doctors took X-rays and discovered that his left lung had collapsed, and that a small mass was sitting inside of it. Initially, they suspected the tumor to be cancerous, but there was no indication of any cancer. Under further investigation, surgeons later discovered that Sveden’s condition was infact a result of a pea plant growing inside his lung!
5. The Dandelion Girl
6. Guinea Worm DiseaseThe rather disgusting disease, effects those who drink water infected with Guinea Worm larvae. It can take a year for any symptoms to develop, but when they do, you know about it. The skin around the lower limb will begin to blister and feel horrifically hot, as the female worms try to leave their human host. The worms, which grow up to one meter in length, then emerge through the skin. The only way to remove them is to slowly pull them out, a process which can take one month.
7. The horror hair ballAn 18-year-old girl was referred to specialists when she lost 18kg in 5 months, after vomiting after every meal. Despite her colossal weight loss, the girl developed a swollen abdomen, which scans showed as a large mass. During further investigations, surgeons discovered that the mass was actually a giant hair ball, which had collected in her stomach after years of her eating her own hair!
8. The terror tumorWhen Nicola Ellington fell pregnant, she had no idea that her stomachs rapid growth was nothing to do with her blossoming baby, and everything to do with a terrifying tumor. Ellington, and her 13-week-old baby faced certain death as the tumor, a mass of cells that had formed teeth and hair, grew to the size of a watermelon in her chest. The tumor, which had been dormant in Ellington’s body since birth, had to be removed or both mother and baby would die. The surgery lasted for two hours during the summer of 2010. After the surgery, Ellington remained in hospital until baby Layla was born in December at a healthy weight of 7lbs 6ozs.
9. Fir ManRussian surgeons were left stunned when they found a fir tree growing inside their 28-year-old patient, Artyom Sidorkin. Initially, they had suspected the reason why he was coughing up blood was related to a cancerous tumor. Luckily, the truth was much less sinister, but much more bizarre. Instead, a fir tree had begun to grow in his lung! And, last, but by no means least…
10. Potato in vaginaWhen a 22-year-old Columbian woman was admitted to hospital with abdominal pains, doctors were mystified. Until they discovered that the cause of the pain was due to a potato sprouting in her vagina. The woman, who remains anonymous, then confessed to the doctors that she had initially placed the potato in her vagina as a form of contraception, as she had been told that the vegetable would protect against pregnancy. Left with questions? This video will help answer the who, what, why, where and when…
It just goes to show that if you have any mysterious aches or pains, get to the doctors – quick! Before a tree starts sprouting out of your ear…