Hollywood seems to be rampant with sexual predators, but only in the past few months have these monsters been publicly outed and toppled from their positions of power. Sexual abuse will not be tolerated any longer, and celebrity victims are not only speaking out, but they are on a quest for justice.
Terry Crews was one of the first celebrities to speak out in the Hollywood sexual abuse scandal. He revealed that he had been groped at a party by an unnamed executive, and wanted to share his story in hopes of helping to end sexual harassment in Hollywood for good.
Crews has since named his abuser, who turned out to be Hollywood agent Adam Venit with the William Morris Endeavour Entertainment agency, and has filed an official police report. Now, Crews is revealing more information about the assault and is suing both Venit and the WME agency.
While Venit is not Crews’ agent, he has represented a slew of Hollywood power players, including Casey Affleck, Brett Ratner, and Dustin Hoffman, all of whom have been accused of sexual assault themselves.
Crews claims that at an industry event on February 4, 2016, he attempted to introduce himself to Venit but Venit only stared “intently, like a rabid dog, sticking his tongue in and out of his mouth provocatively.”
Upon attempting to shake Venit’s hand, he “viciously grabbed [Crews’] penis and testicles so hard that it caused [him] immediate pain in a blatant and unprovoked sexual assault.” Venit and Crews had never met before that incident.
To hear Terry Crews discuss his sexual assault in his own words and how it affected him, check out the video below:
Despite being pushed away and told to stop, Venit continued his groping. Crews claims he shouted to Adam Sandler, who was also present at the event for help. Sandler apparently called Crews later to ask what had happened and to make sure he was okay.
Crews reported the incident to his agency, WME, where Venit also works, but says the company took no action. A few weeks after Crews publicly announced Venit as his attacker, Venit was suspended for 30 days, but has since returned to WME.
Crews’ new lawsuit is an attempt to see that Venit receives the punishment he deserves. “It is now time to hold Venit accountable for his sexual predatory behavior and to hold WME accountable for its conduct in condoning, ratifying and encouraging Venit’s sexual predatory behavior,” Crews’ lawsuit states.
It continues: “A message needs to be sent to those in power who abuse those over whom they exert influence and control that abusive and sexual predatory behavior will not be tolerated.”
While some sexual predators, like Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein, have seen their personal lives and careers destroyed in the wake of the scandal, others seem to have escaped unscathed. Hopefully Crews’ legal action will bring some justice.
Crews has previously been applauded for being so vocal about his harassment story, and for showing that even a 240 pound man can be a victim of sexual abuse. Assault needs to be taken seriously, and can no longer be swept under the rug.