There is an age-old saying that you should never judge a book by its cover. However, when it comes to romance novels this couldn’t be less applicable. The cover is everything, it pulls the reader in and draws their imagination to the steamy content that lies inside. It has to be eye catching and attention grabbing and it also seemingly has to be completely over the top.
In an interview with Cosmopolitan
, writer Lorraine Heath explained the importance of covers in the romance genre: “Romance readers do base a lot on the covers. That’s the first thing that they look for — the cover has to grab their attention. I’ve seen readers post that they’ve picked up books simply because they wanted the cover that was on the book.”
The characters on the covers are usually muscular, beautiful and most of all, sexual. So when photographer Kathleen Kamphausen decided to recreate these covers using regular people instead of models, the outcome was hilarious. Without the chiseled muscles and airbrushed make-up, the poses look frankly ridiculous. Get ready for bellies, bums and some seriously bizarre poses.
1. Because what’s romance without perplexed-looking animals?
2. Drowning in desire
3. The naked sunset massage: coming to a spa retreat near you
4. “Please Claude, just one more night!”
5. A rare Armenian ear massage
6. Dan, the man with the world’s largest belt buckle
7. Leather waistcoat: $19.99 (flying horse not included)
8. “I would receive a thousand stinging nettle stings to the ass, for one more embrace”
9. Is… Is he asleep?
10. The return of the belt buckle
Some real gems there, my particular favourite has to be number seven, if only for the horse seemingly jumping out of the man’s back. It would be pretty interesting to see some fantasy novels recreated with real people as well…