1. “A kamikaze that will probably cause a nuclear holocaust”A “kamikaze” is a person who carries out a suicide mission in war. Here, Eminem is criticizing the president’s willingness to threaten America’s enemies with nuclear weapons, even though this would have devastating effects on the US itself.
2. “Trump, when it comes to giving a s*** you’re stingy as I am”Despite being the most divisive president in US history, Trump remains unfazed by those who disprove of him and that includes the world’s media and the majority of the American population. As of October 8, just 38.5% of Americans are in favour of Trump.
3. “Racism’s the only thing he’s Fantastic 4, ’cause that’s how he gets his rock off, he’s orange”This is in reference to actions Trump has taken which some have deemed to be racist, such as banning people from certain Muslim countries from entering the US. Trump’s questioning of whether Obama was born in the US was also viewed as racist.
4. “‘Cause he cannot withstand the fact we’re not afraid of Trump”Eminem also criticized people who have been silent about their disapproval of Trump. Often those who have spoken out against the president have been subject to a barrage of criticizm, but Eminem believes that’s all the more reason for people to do it. It was appropriate that Eminem titled his song ‘The Storm’ as it, quite literally, went down a storm on Twitter, with a number of stars praising the rapper for his scathing critique of the Trump including LeBron James, J Cole, and Colin Kaepernick.
5. “All these horrible tragedies and he’s bored and would rather cause a Twitter storm”
6. “Who’s going to pay for his extravagant trips”Trump wants to lower taxes in the US, and this caused Eminem to question who would pay for his extravagant presidential trips. Since the president was inaugurated in January, he has spent more than 20% of his time golfing.
7. “Same shit that he tormented Hillary for and he slandered, then does it more”During his presidential campaign, Trump claimed that Hilary Clinton was inherently crooked. However, he has since done a number of things that he criticized Clinton for doing whilst she was in power – like sharing classified information.
8. “This racist 94-year-old grandpa”Unfortunately, America’s past is dominated by racism, and here Eminem has used the president’s advanced age against him, implying that his seemingly outdated views are indicative of the fact that he belongs to a close-minded generation. Many people have said that the over 70s hold racist views compared to younger generations. This is because they grew up in a time when racial equality didn’t exist. It wasn’t until just over 50 years ago that racial segregation ended in the US.
9. “To him, you’re zero, ’cause he don’t like his war heroes captured”Despite claiming to be openly in favor of veterans, Eminem is also criticized Trump for a comment he made about preferring veterans who didn’t get captured by America’s enemies. “I like people that weren’t captured, OK?” Trump said.
10. “F*** that, this is for Colin, ball up a fist and keep that s*** balled like Donald the b****”This is a reference to Colin Kaepernick taking the knee as a sign of protest against the racial inequality which many believe is still present in the US. When Colin heard this lyric, he made a point of tweeting Eminem saying, “I appreciate you.”
11. “The rest of America stand up. We love our military and we love our country, but we f****** hate Trump”Eminem’s call to the rest of America to stand up refers to the fact that many people have openly spoken out against Trump. He wants others to do the same. Prior to his 2016 presidential campaign, Trump had been referred to in a positive light by hip-hop musicians. Even if you disagree with Eminem’s criticisms of the president, his opinions should be respected. We live in a democracy, and people should be allowed to express how they feel about our leaders, regardless of whether they are in favour of them or not. President Trump has yet to comment on Eminem’s scathing critique.